The Right Care, Right Here

Top-quality compassionate medical care, close to home.

Small fire quickly contained at OMC

For immediate release Contact: Shandi Brinkman

January 22, 2015 Media Relations Specialist


Small fire quickly contained at OMC

A small fire in a computer control room at Ozarks Medical Center was quickly contained on Thursday, Jan. 22. The fire broke out around 3 p.m. on Thursday afternoon in a room containing computer equipment located outside the OMC Emergency Department.

The OMC Emergency Department was evacuated due to smoke. There were no injuries. According to Gay Watson, OMC Senior Executive Director of Marketing, the fire was not close to any patient care areas and no patients, visitors or staff were in danger during the fire.

"Because of the nature of the equipment housed in this control room, it features advanced smoke and heat detection sensors which sounded quickly when a power supply in the room caught fire," she said. "The fire department and other emergency personnel responded immediately and quickly contained the fire."

Patients in the OMC Emergency Department were evacuated to the hospital's Outpatient Surgery. Incoming emergency patients were also diverted to the Outpatient Surgery area and non-urgent patients diverted to the OMC Urgent Care Clinic.

The control room is part of the new Emergency Department addition, which opened in 2010. Watson said the area has its own ventilation system and no other areas of the hospital were impacted by smoke.

"By 4:20 p.m. patients and families were returned to the Emergency Department and we resumed normal operations," she said. "We appreciate the great responses by the West Plains Fire Department, Police Department and the OMC team to ensure patients were safe, comfortable and well –cared for."

Related Articles